Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stila Precious Pearl Palette

I had to get this when I saw it on Temptalia.com, because the packaging and swatches looked so good!

Photobucket

The mother-of-pearl inlay makes this palette stand out from other brands using the same design. It could've been better if they had used brushed metal instead of shiny metal though.


On the back label, it says the shadows do contain genuine pearl. I guess that contributes to the shimmer in the eyeshadows?

Photobucket


Closer look:

Photobucket

Photobucket


Swatches:

Photobucket


My colour descriptions:

  • Off white-gold - great for highlighting under the browbone or inner corner of the eye
  • Pale powder pink - for highlighting or on the inner 1/2 of the eye
  • Medium rose pink - great all over lid colour
  • Dark midnight blue - great for the outer 1/2 of the eye to contour, or in the crease. Would make a nice liner too.
  • Vibrant green - another great all over the lid colour. Perfect for spring!
  • Antique gold - this is the only shade I'm iffy about. It doesn't flatter my olive undertones when used all over the lid so I'll probably stick to using it for highlighting the inner corner of my eye.
All shades have a shimmery finish. However I find the colour really doesn't stay on bare lids unless you use a primer first. I wore it once without primer and the colour slid off within an hour - this was in winter too so its not like the heat melted them off or anything...


I did two combinations on each eye below. These were done with Urban Decay Primer Potion as a base.

Photobucket
(sorry about stray brow hairs :/)

Left eye:
Green shade all over lid
Blue shade for outer corner
Gold shade in the innermost corner of the eye
Off white shade to highlight

Right eye:
Rose pink shade all over the lid
Gold on the outer corner
Pale pink on the innermost corner
Off white + pale pink colour to highlight


Overall, the shades are not very original, but I do like how varied the colours are. You could get several different types of looks out of this palette unlike the Stila Kitten palette which was mostly warm neutral shades with one sole shade of blue...

20 comments:

mayaari said...

the palette looks very pretty - lots of versatile colors to mix and match.

Anonymous said...

omg! that is gorgeous! and i do agree it would have looked nicer with brushed metal :)

and good job on capturing the fact that this palette is very versatile in terms of the looks you want to create.

Anonymous said...

The colour slook so pretty! Although I now also want the Kitten palette since I adore neutrals... how much was this in CAD? I'm thinking the Canadian Sephora stores must get things a little later... haven't seen this at all, or the new UD Spring items!

IchigoBunnie said...

this is a really nice palette! i like the mother of pearl thing and i like how there's a variety of colors in the eyeshadows. versatile!! it looks like you can use half of it for daytime to go to work, and carry that palette along and put some of the darker color to wear it out immediately for a dinner. nice!!

AskMeWhats said...

the color combinations you've done look wonderful!!!! love it!

Angie said...

The colors are really pretty!! I agree, the shade selection is great!

Look at your superb blending skills!

Hahha.. oh man, my brows are much worse! I'm always too lazy to tame them! hahaha

watercoloursky said...

asiyakei: I got mine from Sephora online, but I did see it at the Bloor St location last weekend! Should probably be at all locations now :) Its CAD$58 I think.
I haven't seen UD items either, those are probably slower :/

watercoloursky said...

angie: thanks, but I think its just the eyeshadow formulation that helps blending :) I find shimmery shades much, much easier to blend than matte ones. In fact I avoid matte dark shades like crazy because I don't have the skills for those yet...

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

i love the greeny blue side, but the pink is very springy!! the colours look really versatile!

Anonymous said...

I like the left eye (it's really your right eye though eh?) very much. I'm such a sucker for greens! The blue on the outer corner finishes the green off nicely. :)

I've never been a fan of Stila. Always thought that their eyeshadows cost a lot and the finish and staying power were quite lame (and I don't have oily lids!). I see that you've found the same about the staying power.

Violet Honeybee said...

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. Ohhh I was going to pass this palette but after seeing the casing I might get it just for that lol. I really like your left eye for nights and right for days, it's a cute spring look hehehe

Unknown said...

Is it possibel to have "original" shades anymore? I wonder - You always make me think!

Hey but the green looks lush!!

fuzkittie said...

Lovely! I love the two eyes you did with the colors. I think the colors looks really nice and different in the palette, but I have a hard time using palettes that have more than 4 or 5 colors nowadays... I'm so uncreative that I must stick with something that's already got colors paired up for me, haha!

Anonymous said...

Just a note, but make sure they scan it into the register properly, when you buy the posh brushes. I bought two more brow brushes for my mom and a friend...and they came up 4.99 instead of 3.99. It's only a dollar difference, but you never know with the others :)
I tried to pick up shadow brushes today, but the selection at the one i went to seemed very picked over...there wasn't much there :T luckily there is still a lot of time left :D

and yes, I was thinking crazy glue too...hopefully its good enough

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

Hey Blu3! I'm sure you can dupe of pink poodle.. at lot of ppl say it's really bright, and it quite true, i blotted it achieve this look! im sure dior, ysl, lancome would have a good dupe of a fuchsia pink colour.

I think the la prairie eye concealer is awesome!! the colour is so great and blendable. It's more of a peachy-beige compared to the Sana one. it works really well for me. it doesn't crease! I always put powder on it to set too. It creases on my lid tho, but my eye lids can get really oily sometime :( right now im using the refillable... i think i gave the real thing to my mum! hahaha... i would actually want to replace it since it's that good! I have use both YSL, and Dior ones and I say La Prarie is the best so far!!

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

ps. the Ren eye gel is pretty good.. although sometime not moisturizing in this weather. it's nice and cooling tho and it de-puffs the eyes quite well!

MiuMiu said...

the pink shades are really nice. so pigmented!

cheryl said...

the palette looks lovely but i dun think the colours will work for my skin tone though...

Anonymous said...

Waiting (impatiently) for this one! Looking good! :D Thanks for the review.

theChas said...

You know, I love love LOVE stila, but I didn't think there was anything special about this palette either...until you put it on! The colors look awesome on you, darn you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin