First, the Green Beaver Winter Lip Balm:
I know, its not winter anymore, but lets face it, sometimes your lips get dry even in summer, especially if you spend most of your time in air-conditioned buildings.
I love lipbalms in this squeeze tube format because not only are they more sanitary than pot balms, they are also more emollient and moisturizing than stickbalms. This lipbalm has surpassed my previous favourite, Nivea Q10 Lip Care. The GB Winter Lip Balm shares all the pros I loved about the Nivea product AND is made of natural ingredients such as beeswax, sunflower oil, and various plant extracts.
If there was something to improve on this product, it would be the lack of SPF. The only balms I've seen with SPF are either in pots (eg MAC TLCs), or stick form (Blistex, Banana Boat, etc.). I want one in a squeeze tube format!
- sanitary squeeze tube instead of a pot
- tube format allows for a more emollient formula
- natural ingredients, no petrolatum
- needs an SPF version for daytime
Next, the Green Beaver Grapefruit Gel Facial Cleanser:
It comes in a sturdy cardboard box made from recycled packaging:
Inside is an easy squeeze tube of the best smelling facial wash ever:
The product is a clear, slightly orange gel that smells of grapefruit. It is a foaming wash, but does not strip my face of moisture. Instead it cleanses just the right amount, and leaves my skin feeling refreshed.
What I liked most about the Green Beaver products was this fact from their site:
"Our facial products contain an air-dried 200X aloe concentrate. Air-drying does not denature the skin soothing ingredients found in the aloe. Each 120 ml product contains the equivalent of 1.0 Litre aloe gel actives! Ideal for sensitive or troubled skin."
Sounds pretty good for me since I've had sensitive, reactive skin for a while now. I've been using this face wash at night since the beginning of April, and my skin is quite happy, so it looks like this is a keeper!
The only minor thing I could complain about is the tube opening. It is a little wide, so a bit of it does leak out of the opening into the cap area if stored upright on the cap side. It doesn't actually leak out of the cap area but is still a bit more wasteful than necessary.
Aqua, Coco Glucoside, Glycerin, Decyl Glucoside, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Xantham Gum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Camellia Senensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid
* CERTIFIED ORGANIC OR ECOLOGICALLY WILD CRAFTED
On the box itself it even says that it does not contain harsh detergents or sodium lauryl sulfate which is pretty awesome. I've always had difficulty finding a foaming face wash without harsh detergents or SLS, so this is pretty awesome for me :D
- gel based (feels more refreshing than cream/milk cleansers)
- free from SLS or harsh detergents that strip moisture
- smells awesome
- contains many soothing ingredients for sensitive skin
- tube opening is a little wide, leading to slight wastage
Where to buy
- Whole Foods in Yorkville, Toronto sells Green Beaver products. The facial wash is $12.99.
- Well.ca sells Green Beaver products. The facial wash is $13.99 but they offer free shipping to anywhere in Canada, with any purchase.
- Also call your local natural health store to check availability.
I hope this helps!